Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Confession

I am not the most original cook in the world.

I copy-cat meals from many places.

The first place was, of course, from my own upbringing. As a newlywed I would constantly be calling my mother asking for her recipes. Chicken soup, pie crust, beef stew, spaghetti sauce, meat loaf... all of it became a huge part of my repertoire. In fact, I am sure it was my repertoire for at least the first 3 years of my marriage.

There are many other sources I use for our weekly menu planning. Some of them are more reputable than others.
:S

The one I use frequently and am ashamed to admit I do so... is the Kraft Food & Family Magazine. Talk about non-crunchy! Eeek. Every single recipe is loaded with kraft food products. Not really what any gourmet food connoisseur would want to admit.

Luckily, I am none of these things.
:P

Here is a sure-hit winner winner chicken dinner* recipe.

Almond Chicken

Chicken thighs
Italian dressing
Chicken bullion
Rice
Green beans
Slivered almonds
(No exact amounts, sorry. Just eye it for your own family size. The ratio of bullion to dressing is about equal... and however many thighs you use, you want the liquid to cover them at the simmering stage.)
~Brown the chicken thighs in the Italian dressing. Add chicken bullion (with water) and simmer. Cook the rice and green beans separately.
~The great thing about this meal is that you have the option of serving every part of it separately (again with the rice! touching! the! green! beans! problem) or you can create a lovely platter by layering the rice, then chicken (with the sauce) then green beans, and finish it off by sprinkling the slivered almonds on top.

Every one of my kids loves this dish. I never have leftovers.

Enjoy!

:)



*This awesome quote brought to you by our family's favorite Food Network dude... Guy Fieri of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.

1 comment:

Sephora said...

I have ONE copy of that Food and Family magazine, and I keep going back to those recipes!