Friday, February 26, 2010

Where to Begin?




















How about with dinner tonight?

(This picture was taken this past summer at my parents mountain home... I was cooking for an army. No need to get this carried away in your own kitchen!)

Our "new" favorite Friday meal is Fish Tacos.

What?!? you ask. That's disgusting. Fish are not meant to be paired with flour tortillas.

Yeah, I thought so too, once. Until I tried them.

All of the credit for these goes to Farmer in Wisconsin.

The beauty of this meal, besides its extreme yummy factor, is how quick and easy it is to make.

You need:

Tilapia fish. Preferably crusted with lime cilantro or other in-store crustings.
If you cannot find them already crusted, simply thaw them ahead of time and drench in lime juice before dipping them in bread crumbs.

Salsa. Can be homemade or store bought. Entirely up to you. I make my own.

Coleslaw. I buy the "kit" from the store. Easy peasy.

French fries. Freezer section. :)

Flour tortillas. Keeping our cholesterol in mind, I go for the low carb variety. Any kind will do.

~Assemble your coleslaw mix and put in the fridge.
~Throw the french fries in the oven. Sometimes we will deep fry them but let me tell you, it totally disqualifies this meal as suitable for Lent if you do. :P
~Take the tilapia and pan fry it... making sure not to overcook. Depending on thickness, I'd say to give it 3-5 minutes each side.
~Warm your tortillas. I usually wrap them in paper towels and put them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Keep wrapped until ready to use.

These tacos are best made at table. Simply take a warm tortilla, place some fish in the middle, cover it with coleslaw, then salsa... wrap it up, and eat! Serve the french fries on the side. The hot fish and the cold coleslaw bring out the many different flavors present in both. These are surprisingly filling, and can easily be served separately for those kids who do not want their fish touching their coleslaw!!!

Not that I would know anything about that.

;P

2 comments:

Petra said...

Ha Haaaaaaaaa! Bonanza! Pancetta Pasta is still one of my favorite recipes.....I'm so glad you're doing this! Muchas gracias. Will try the fish tacos soon.....

momto5minnies said...

I will have to try this. I love fish tacos, but have never made them myself.