Thursday, July 8, 2010

It's Summertime!

And here in the South, that means PEACHES.

As a displaced Northerner, the idea of picking peaches is a new one to me.  And having lived down here for a measly... erm... 14 years and never gone peach picking... well, that's just downright sinful.

So, next week, we're going peach picking.

I think.

:P

In the meantime, I'll hit all of the $0.88/lb sales of deliciously ripe, locally grown peaches going on at the neighborhood grocery stores....

In order to make THIS:

PEACHES AND CREAM PIE

3/4 c sugar
3 tbsp flour
3/4 c whipping cream
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Approx. 3 peaches, peeled and sliced (in half or thinly... either way works)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Mix flour and sugar.
Roll out pastry for one 9" crust into a pie crust plate, or 8"x 8" glass pan. (I used a 7"x 11" glass pan)
Pour half of flour/sugar mixture into pastry.
Arrange peaches on top. Do only one layer!
Sprinkle rest of the mixture on top.
Pour the whipping cream evenly over all.
Sprinkle the surface with cinnamon.

Cover the edges of the crust with foil.
Bake at 450 for 10 minutes.
Reduce heat to 350, bake for another 30 minutes.

Before serving, make sure to let the pie cool.  It will not be set when you take it out of the oven.... and you don't want to serve soupy pie!













Be prepared for some insanely amazing smells to emerge from your oven.

Also, expect some wrinkled noses at how this dessert *looks* after it's baked.  My nephews roundly turned their noses up at the sight of it, but then polished off both pies after having one taste.

:P

Oh, how I love summer baking!!

:)

2 comments:

Sephora said...

No way! It's that simple??!! And AAARRGGH!!--I just packed my rolling pin.

nutmeg said...

I'll let you in on a little secret. Both Mom and I use the Pillsbury crusts you can buy at the store.

:P